30 ml butter
250 ml sugar
30 ml vinegar
10 ml bicarbonate of soda
60 ml jam — apricot
500 ml flour — cake
250 ml milk
salt — just a pinch
500 ml milk
375 ml water — boiled
375 ml sugar
60 ml butter
45 ml vanilla — essence
Pull the family out of the midweek doldrums with an after-supper treat. Try Joye Barnard of Vereeniging’s mouthwatering malva pudding.
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C. Grease an ovenproof dish with nonstick spray.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and eggs together.
3. Mix the vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and to the jam.
4. Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the creamed butter and jam mixtures and mix while pouring in the milk and salt to form a batter. Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake for 55 minutes or until golden brown.
5. SAUCE Bring the ingredients to the boil in a small saucepan, stirring frequently.
6. Pour the sauce over the pudding as it comes out of the oven.
Serve hot with ice cream or custard.